Our COVID 19 Statement
We missed you.
2020 was tough on all of us. We missed gathering together, laughing together and celebrating our shared passions for comic books, cosplay, video games, tabletop games, art and entertainment.
As you know we have decided to move forward with SiouxperCon 2021: Heroes Homecoming brought to you by Black Hills Federal Credit Union October 1-3 at the Sioux Falls Convention Center.
We didn’t make this decision lightly.
We held many meetings leading up to the announcement of the convention taking into account the spread of COVID-19, the efficacy and availability of the vaccine, distancing protocols and other safety measures. We watched as other conventions similar in size to SiouxperCon planned and held their conventions successfully. We took everything into consideration and decided to host the convention in person this year.
Here is what we are doing to ensure everyone’s safety.
- We are encouraging masks for the non-vaccinated and for those who feel most comfortable in crowds with a mask. You can bring your own, make it part of your costume or we will have masks available throughout the convention center for your use.
- We will have hand sanitizer throughout the convention center. Regardless of vaccination status, we encourage the use of sanitizer and hand washing frequently throughout the event.
- As always consent is 100% necessary for a safe and enjoyable convention, not only for cosplay, but for each other. Ask prior to hugging or hand shaking. Others may not be as comfortable as you. If people ask that you maintain a safe distance from them, please respect their request.
- We have spaced out tables in the convention hall more than in previous years including adding an extra pathway halfway down the vendor aisles.
We are trusting you. If you are feeling ill in any way please stay home. Monitor your symptoms. Take your temp prior to leaving for the convention that day. Be a good neighbor and remember the wisdom of Spock: “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
We take great pride in the fact that SiouxperCon remains a welcome and inclusive space where we come together in the spirit of our shared passions. SiouxperCon is not the place for political or spiritual debates on the Covid-19 pandemic or other topics. We ask that you please respect the uniqueness and individuality of each person attending the convention.
We chose the theme “Heroes Homecoming” to honor the local everyday heroes who worked so diligently to serve us and keep our community safe during the pandemic of the last year. Do your part to honor them by being safe and smart during the convention.
SiouxperCon 2021 Official COVID Policy
Updated August 31, 2021
The volunteer board and staff of SiouxperCon are aware of the concerns surrounding COVID 19 transmission at large events. We are also aware of the many conflicting viewpoints about how to best protect ourselves and our families and friends in this time of pandemic.
Although there is no mandate to wear masks currently in place backed by the State of South Dakota, Minnehaha County or the City of Sioux Falls, we do believe it’s best to err on the side of caution to keep everyone safe.
Our policy is to strongly encourage attendees at this year’s SiouxperCon event to follow CDC guidance about attending large events:
- If you are not fully vaccinated and are aged 2 or older, we ask that you wear a mask in all indoor, public places.
- You do not need to wear a mask in general outdoor settings.
- However, in crowded areas or with activities that require close contact with others, we ask that you consider wearing a mask.
- People who have a condition or are taking medications that weaken their immune system may not be fully protected even if they are fully vaccinated. They should continue to take all precautions recommended for unvaccinated people, including wearing a well-fitted mask, until advised otherwise by their healthcare provider.
- If you are fully vaccinated, to maximize protection from the Delta variant and prevent possibly spreading it to others, wear a mask indoors in public if you are in an area of substantial or high transmission.
We will be providing masks for free at the registration table and around the con at our vendor hall and tabletop gaming rooms. We will also have special SiouxperCon branded masks available for purchase.
In cases where social distancing is not possible, such as our tabletop gaming room, we will be requiring masks for entry. Our SiouxperCon guests respectfully ask that you wear a mask while at their tables. These guests have waived their appearance fee to appear at this convention. Your wearing a mask when visiting with them ensures that they are able to continue to attend conventions moving forward and continue creating art and entertainment that you love.
Please understand, this is not an overall mask mandate for the event. We are a small 100% volunteer run organization and we do not have the resources and volunteers to monitor and enforce such a mandate. We are respectfully asking the community to help us support each other and keep everyone safe. No one will be turned away from admission if they choose not to wear a mask, other than rooms where we require it because social distancing is not possible.
Our goal is to have a safe event that raises money for the community, gives our guests an opportunity to interact with fans, honors the support of our community sponsors and gives everyone an opportunity to return to the convention and honor our local heroes.
We ask for your understanding as we navigate this on a day by day, moment to moment basis.
Source: Centers for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/gatherings.html Accessed 8-31-21